What is a Grievance:

A grievance is a formal means by way a Union member can protest a violation of the Contract that they work under. Teamster Local 665 has a grievance policy as approved by the Executive Board of the Local (See attached) There are generally two (2) types of grievances. One, a grievance can be filed against your employer protesting a disciplinary action taken against you (warning letters, suspensions or terminations) The second is a protest of an Employers possible violation of other articles or sections of the Labor Agreement. As an example, you might file a grievance against your employer for not calling you for overtime in violation of your seniority, or you might file a grievance for improper pay, or layoff out of seniority.

How do I file a Grievance:

As a member, you are required to submit to the Union, a fully executed grievance form. This is the first step in the grievance process. The Grievance form must be completed before the grievance can be processed. The information sought in the form would include, the type of grievance being filed, a brief description of why the grievance is being filed, and a detailed accounting of what happened including a list of eyewitnesses and or any other important evidence. This is an internal Union document by way your Business Agent can gather needed information to investigate the claim. The grievance form includes your contact information, and requires your signature.  At the bottom of this page you will find a Grievance form along with your Business Agents contact information.


Do you want to file a Grievance:

If you want to file a grievance,  the first step is to contact your Business Agent here.

What do I do after the Grievance has been filed:

Once the grievance is submitted to the Union, your Business Agent will send a grievance letter to the Employer. This Union grievance is the contractual mechanism by which it can represent you the member at your job. After the letter is sent to the employer, a meeting between the parties is set to attempt to resolve the grievance. Should the parties fail to reach a settlement, the grievance may proceed to a contractual hearing process (Either a board of Adjustment, arbitration or both). It is important you consult your Contract to determine time limits to file a timely grievance.